All coaches for Development and Youth Competitive teams must complete the following courses:
Respect in Sport
The Respect in Sport program was introduced in 2011 to provide coaches with invaluable information about coaching and essential approaches around working with youngsters in an appropriately respectful and nurturing coaching environment. RIS is an e-learning program for coaches, trainers, managers and any adult with a supervisory role over youth involved in soccer. It is designed as a tool to assist participants in identifying and dealing with abuse, neglect, harassment and bullying in sport.
The online course costs $30 and the curriculum is broken into six (6), 30 minute modules and includes audio/visual presentaions, quizzes and printable handouts. Another beneficial feature of the program is that it does not need to be done all at once; it can be completed at your leisure. All competitive-level coaches must complete the "Respectin Soccer" program. We are hoping that coaches will recognize the long-tern value of the program because of the values it promotes and also what it teaches regarding important practical guidelines for youth coaches.
Registration Instructions click here
- Time Commitment. The course will take an estimated 3 hours with the delegate's RIS accreditation updated immediately upon completion in the Soccer Registry.
- Availability/Access. The RIS option is internet based so it allows participants to complete the certification at a time and place that is convenient to them. The participant may complete the certification in segments over a maximum 30 day time period.
- Flexablity. Delegates can access the RIS online course at any time (by way of user name and password), therefore have the option of being able to complete one module at a time.
- E-Learning Platform. This is an introduction to the capabilities of training delegates, with online tools and resources, the course contains many handouts which remain accessible after the course is completed. If a paper copy of any of the documents or the accreditation is required it can be printed from the site.
- Sport Specific. RIS is specific to soccer. However the learning principles within are common to anyone acting as a sport leader. The consensus is that many of our volunteers coach/assist in other sports. The need to education our sport leaders is of significant importance.
RESPECT IN SOCCER - THE MOVEMENT
The Ontario Soccer Association is committed to promoting positive behaviour on and off the soccer field through the support of Coaches, Parents, Players, Volunteers and Officials. Respect is the communal responsibility of each participant in soccer to create an evironment that is both safe and enjoyable for all who take part.
Making Ethical Decisions
Make Ethical Decisions (MED) is a course that is required for all coaches in the development and Competitive program.
Coaches are required to attend the mandatory in-class MED course which runs approximately 3 hours in length. This course is an NCCP course adn will shou up on Coaches transcipts on NCCP's "The Locker"
To search and register for a MED course click here
Notes from Coaching Association of Ontario to the OSA:
May 7th, 2014
Please be aware that the NCCP Make Ethical Decisions (MED) training can take up to 15 days after course completion to appear on a coaches transcript. If possible, you should advice coaches to complete this course at least 15 days prior to having to have their books stamped.
If a coach has completed the course and needs to have their book stamped immediately ie, They are coaching the next day, the association or adminstrative organization stamping the books can contact us the (CAO) for temporary proof of completion.
The CAO does not issue certificates upon completion of the course. A coach can print their transcript directly from the Locker.
OSA Coaching Certifications:
Fundamentals - U8
Learn to Train - U9, U10, U11, U12
Soccer for Life - U13 and older
To search and register for one of the courses you must go to www.coachcentre.ca and create a coach profile if you do not already have one. Once you login to the centre you can search for courses and register for them. All fees are to be paid by the participant and will be refunded back after the completion of the course to all Cobourg Soccer Club coaches. Submit receipt with an Expense Sheet to the club and a cheque will be mailed to you.
Created by: -- Last updated:Jun 06, 2017